- Prof Elvin Delgado received $500K from the President Innovation Fund to establish the Institute for Integrated Energy Studies (I2ES) at Central Washington University. The Institute will have a new interdisciplinary B.S. in Integrated Energy Studies with three specializations: (1) Energy Policy; (2) Energy Management; and (3) Power Systems. In addition, I2ES will fund research teams to develop interdisciplinary initiatives to study energy issues. Prof Delgado is the co-founder and Director of I2ES. Congrats to Elvin.
- The EESG is pleased to announce the 2014 award winner of the Earl Cook award for Best Student Paper. The winner was Conor Harrison (University of North Carolina). Conor’s paper was titled: “Electric Utilities, Finance, and the Natural Barriers to Accumulation.” Congrats to Conor!
- The EESG is pleased to announce the 2013 award winner of the Earl Cook award for Best Student Paper was Maya Hutchins at Appalachian State University in the Department of Geography and Planning. Maya's paper was titled, A Statistical Analysis of the Effects of Interpolation Techniques and Resolution on the Aggregation of Power Plant Carbon Dioxide Emissions. Congrats to Maya!
- The EESG is excited to announce our second annual plenary lecturer at
the AAG in Los Angeles will be Professor Martin J. (Mike) Pasqualetti.
The title of his lecture in Los Angeles will be, "The Changing Energy Landscapes of North America."
- Please check out a brand new forthcoming article in Energy Policy by Gavin Bridge,
Stefan Bouzarovski, Michael Bradshawc, and Nick Eyre. The article emerged out of a ESRC funded seminar on "Geographies of Energy Transition."
- The winner of the 2012 AAG Earl Cook Award for best student paper was Sarah Knuth (UC-Berkeley) for her paper, "Valuing and Financializing Energy-Efficient Real Estate: Shaky Foundations."
- The winner of the 2012 AAG Daniel B. Luten Award for best paper was Dustin Mulvaney (San Jose State) for his paper, "Prospecting the Solar Frontier: Decarbonization, Sputnik Moments, & the Political Ecology of the Green New Deal."
- The first annual Energy and Environment
Specialty Group Plenary Lecture was given by Gavin Bridge at the 2012 Annual Meeting
in New York City. The title of the talk was "If Not Now, When? Geography,
Energy Studies and the Spatialities of Energy Transition" Dr. Bridge is a
Reader in Economic Geography at the University of Manchester.
- Prof Martin J. (Mike) Pasqualetti delivered an invited
lecture at the Royal Geographical Society in London on June 17th 2011
entitled. "The Changing Energy Landscapes of North America." Mike, who
is a professor of geography at Arizona State University, presented his
paper as part of a lecture series on "The Geographies of Energy
Transitions" that has been held in five UK cities over the past year
under the sponsorship of the Economic and Social Research Council.
Mike also participated in the launch of the Energy Geographies Working
Group (EGWG) within the RGS-IBG (Institute of British Geographers). Mike
co-founded a similar group in 1979 within the AAG: Energy and Environment Specialty Group.